Core Multimedia Skills

Edited version of Multimedia Object
First version of Multimedia Object
  • A short explanation of the goal of your multimedia learning object. What are you hoping people learn?
  • Productiveness is never taught in school but always encouraged. There is only so much time in a day to get things done. I think being aware of productiveness and the usefulness of it would help benefit everyone. It does not have to be a super strict schedule everyday but to have some form of organization for your time helps properly managing it.

• A description of why you updated or changed specific elements of the multimedia learning object, and why the updated object is now more effective at increasing knowledge transfer based on multimedia learning principles and related learning theories.
  • With the cognitive load theory in mind, I reduced text length and tried to state the point with fewer words. A lot of people only read an infographic once or twice so it is important to have them absorb all the information first read without overwhelming them. I also optimize my colour use by adding a warm mustard yellow colour to create a comfortable contrast in the design. I changed the headers to have only two words to show “repetition” and to maintain a hierarchy by the different text sizes to show the importance of the steps. Balance, color, alignment were also my main focuses and I believed the newer design shows an improvement compared to the first one in terms of that.

• Feel free to point out any elements of the multimedia learning object that you did NOT upgrade, because you felt they were already effective based on multimedia learning principles and related learning theories. 
  • I felt that although some of the text needed to be changed in order to reflect on HOW each step helped in becoming more productive the headers stayed simple and the same. Although I did change all the headers to contain ONLY two words. With the cognitive load theory in mind I only represented one idea per step in order to help absorb the information without the student being overwhelmed. I also used the signalling principle in the design to show the most important information first where the title is followed by the 5 headers which point out the main ideas with text to help explain the headers. I also incorporated the coherence principle where all the ideas were coherence with one another by sharing the common idea of “time” and how to properly cooperate with it.

Johnson, D. (2021, February 19). Design and Layout with Canva [Mp4]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3pdyid7BjU

McCue, R. (2021, February 20). Introduction to Infographics with Canva & Related Multimedia Learning Principles [MP4]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1k3deWbw2c